Sunday, July 26, 2009

Exploring Almaty


26 July 2009 Part 2

After my boys woke up we got dressed and headed downstairs to the free breakfast buffet. I started to prepare a plate for Lukas and he was so excited he wanted to carry the plate. I decided it was best to put a few starter items on it and take him to the table to start eating while I went back and fixed a second plate for both of us. They had what looked like a smoothie of some sort so I poured him a glass. We were told in the mornings they at smoothies so I thought it would be something familiar. He drank 2 glasses, ate from his plate, mama’s plate and papa’s plate. He ate really well and quite a bit.

After breakfast we headed out to explore the surrounding area of the hotel and get a few things from the market for the room. Papa went across the street to exchange some money and Mama was going to wait on the other side with Lukas. He wasn’t having any of that and wanted to go with Papa. So off we went across the street. You can definitely tell we are not in Taraz anymore as there was a guard in the exchange who carried an automatic weapon over his shoulder. I never saw armed guards at any of the ones in Taraz and even in the bank the guards didn’t have obvious weapons that I could tell.

During our explorations we came across a neighborhood playground only a block away. It had 2 slides, a jungle gym and a swing set. He headed straight for the swing set. I put him on the swing, gave him a push and then he began swinging on his own. I don’t know if he figured it out by himself or if he had been on a swing before. They didn’t have any swings on the playground at Umit so I was quite surprised.

As usual Lukas started a collection of sticks that we carried for a while. We continued walking around and as we reached a busy section of roads discovered they had underground walkways so you didn’t have to cross the street, you just went underneath. Each of these walkways had little kiosks in them. The last one we went in was a big toy store and mini-mart. We almost had an incident when he saw a big riding car with a huge bear in it. He went to take the bear out so he could ride the car as if it were just a playroom full of toys. I managed to distract him with a singing Eeyore doll whose ears flapped up and down as he sang. That did lead to a minor meltdown because he wanted the doll but we weren’t going to pay almost $40 for a small singing toy when he has a stuffed Eeyore in the room he doesn’t really play with yet. We managed to eventually get him moving again. We managed to find the big shopping center with the large Tsum store but opted not to go in today.

Most of the ditches on the sides of the road didn’t have water running through them but we did finally come across one that had very fast water running through it. Naturally we had to stop and throw things in it for a while. It was a very slow 2 block walk until we crossed the street. We weren’t sure where we were for a while but did manage to stumble back across the hotel from the opposite side we left on. We headed to the little grocery across the driveway of the hotel. According to Wayne it was actually cheaper than the grocery in Taraz. It’s about the only thing that is cheaper. We picked up some beverages and some food for Lukas for in the room. Mama also stocked up on her supply of candy that she keeps at the ready for major meltdowns.

Lukas had lunch and then fought us for 45 mins about taking a nap. It was a major screaming fit but we finally got him to sleep. He slept a good 2 ½ hours. At the hotel they have buttons you can push next to the door that light up outside the door to let housekeeping know not to disturb you or to clean your room. We were sure to have it on so they didn’t come in during his nap like in Taraz. The Doctor family stopped by after nap time and told us about another shopping center just a few blocks further up from the hotel that had a big grocery store in the bottom and a play area/food court on the top floor. We decided to go check it out for our afternoon outing and meal.

It is probably about 6-8 blocks from the hotel. They have what I can only describe as flat escalators as you go in the building. Lukas wasn’t to sure about it at first. The grocery store is kind of like a small version of the Super Walmarts back home. They had shopping carts like our grocery stores, food and sundry items, as well as, household items, toys and seasonal items. We headed upstairs to find the playground. They had another flat escalator that went to the second floor which was more like a regular shopping mall with different clothing shops, specialty stores, etc. Lukas was starting to get the hang of the moving escalator. To get to the third floor where the food court, play area, movie theater and internet kiosks were you actually took a regular escalator. He thought that was fun.

We introduced him to his first kid’s meal at their version of KFC. Mama actually got a chicken shashlik at KFC and it was very good. They had a version of Burger King as well with various Kazak food items in addition to a few regular Burger King items. No hamburgers though.

Next it was on to the play area. We paid for 1 hour of fun. The first thing he headed for was the riding machina. There was only one other little girl, about 7-8 years old, playing when we arrived. Then another little boy about 2-3 yrs old arrived and wanted the same toy Lukas had. He was very good about sharing. Eventually a several children arrived ranging in age from about 18 months to 7 yrs old. It was interesting to see his interactions. He spent a good deal of time in a riding car just watching the interactions of the other children together and with their parents. He played a little with them but mostly by himself which I thought was interesting. He wasn’t to sure about the ball pit until he saw some other children playing in it his age. I don’t think he liked how it felt to walk on the balls. I wasn’t sure how he was going to react when it was time to leave but he actually decided on his own about 5 mins before his time was up that he was ready to go. We took a ride on the mini carousel and then prepared to leave.










I think he enjoyed riding down the escalator as much as he did the play area. We went back up and down a second time just for fun. We explored the 2nd floor a little and took advantage of the opportunity for a potty break before heading back to the hotel. Papa took him and he had his first urinal experience. Papa had to explain that we don’t play in the urinal. I am sure to him it just looked like a big sink.

We headed home and stopped next door to visit with the Doctor family before calling it a day. We discovered we had managed to demagnetize our room key and it wouldn’t work. Lukas and I hung out at the elevator while waiting for Papa to come back. They have mirrored doors and mirrored walls inside. Lukas is a little scared of the elevators currently. He always asks to be picked up and whines a little. I pointed to him in the mirror and asked who it was. He said Anton. I decided to try and teach him how to say his name. He responds when you call him Lukas but want call himself Lukas. I actually got him to repeat after me, “My name is Lukas Anton.” We tried Robey but he didn’t quite get that out. He his pretty good at parroting back English that you tell him. As a typical 3 year old, sometimes parroting what you don’t want him to say. We practiced some more and showed Papa what we learned when he got back.

As usual we had several baths/showers again today. We spent the evening playing with our balloons with Mama and Papa and eating his evening snack. We have a small table and two chairs that are just the right height for him to sit at and eat. When he is hungry he will go sit in his chair at the table or say, “Mama tamook.” He was actually pretty good about laying down for bed even though he didn’t go to sleep right away. We play his music and try and do quiet activities. I have been telling him a bedtime story about his being adopted. It is very generic and I don’t know how much he understands but he listens somewhat especially when you talk about him.

He likes to hold things when he goes to sleep. We never know what it is going to be. Tonight he was playing with the remote and whacked himself in the mouth. He managed to cut his tongue. He was quite intrigued with the tissue I used to stop the bleeding and he got some on his finger. He kept looking at his finger and looking at the remote like why did you do that. He ended up going to sleep with the remote, his little skewers from Papa’s sandwich the night before, the ipod speaker, sippy cup, Mama’s watch and the bloody tissue. Needless to say once he was asleep mama removed everything.

About a 1 ½ after he fell asleep he woke up screaming. We were quite concerned because there appeared to be no consoling him. First I thought he was still asleep. I was holding him and he just kept screaming, “Mama, Mama” and it didn’t matter that I was holding him. Usually if I rock him and give him his sippy cup he calms down but not this time. I tried the bath but he didn’t want anything to do with it. You would have thought we were torturing the poor kid. He finally calmed down when Papa gave him a piece of candy. He crawled back in bed, collected all his items again and eventually fell back to sleep.

He woke up screaming again about 3 hours later. He didn’t want mama. Papa picked him up and rocked him and he calmed down fairly quickly. He went back to sleep and spent it close to Papa this time instead of Mama. I really wish I could know what was going through his head and what it was that scared him so. According to literature on International Adoption and other parent’s these kinds of episodes during sleep are very typical and expected but just the same they are quite difficult to experience first hand. I just hope he doesn’t have one of these episodes on the plane.

That is about it for now. It is about 7:30am on Monday morning and we go to the SOS clinic today for his US entry medical. We’ll fill you in on the experience and Lukas’ continued adventures in tomorrow’s blog.

Paka,
Lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter