




23 July 2009
After our nap on Wednesday Papa wrote the blog while Mama fixed our supper. We played a while and then all headed down to the business center. Papa entertained Lukas while Mama booted up the computer. He took him outside but before long they were back. It appears Lukas is living up to what the books say and is attaching more to Mama currently. So Mama went for a walk with Lukas while Papa posted the blog and checked his email.
We headed outside and walked around in front of the hotel. Lukas decided he wanted to go across the street so off we went and stopped to look at the fountain at the Aral CafĂ©. Lukas then heads over to a table to sit down. I told him we weren’t staying because we didn’t bring any money. He was not happy with Mama when she said we had to leave. We had a meltdown on the way back in the hotel. It always makes me feel bad when he melts down coming in the hotel because everyone looks at you and I feel like they are thinking “what did you do to make him cry”. He doesn’t actually cry he just screams like he is crying traumatically. I handed him off to Papa to take upstairs while I checked my email.
He does ok with Papa but pouts more. I think currently Papa is more the tough one than Mama. It is hard to establish a routine when not at home. I figure we can work on rules and structure once we are home. For now I am happy just to not have him meltdown. We are still working on what helps him soothe and calm down the quickest.
He really likes the shower. I think he just likes playing in the water personally. He doesn’t like having his face washed in the shower though. After our shower we got ready for bed and he didn’t put up too much of a fuss when we went to bed. As Wayne said yesterday he moves around a lot in his sleep. He appears to have active dreams. Last night he had his first nightmare. He started acting like he was fighting something or someone off and started screaming in his sleep. We were finally able to wake him up and calm him down. A lot of the books on International Adoption talk about the children having nightmares or night terrors when they first come home. He didn’t want to go back to sleep right away and put up a fuss when we tried to put him back down. I then remembered he seemed to quite down when he had his travel cup with the straw. It worked like a charm and he was asleep within a minute and slept until his usual 7am.
We had breakfast but he didn’t seem very hungry. After breakfast he went and got his shoes on, the correct feet for once, and his hat and headed to the door. However, we only had our pajama top and undies on! Everyone got dressed and Lukas thought he would help out by bringing Mama and Papa their shoes. 8am and we were off for our morning adventure. He enjoyed jumping in the water puddles left from them cleaning the sidewalk and playing in any fountain we came across. We climbed on things, jumped off of walls, picked up things, etc. Typical 3 yr old boy stuff. We were gone for about an hour. We came back to the hotel, bought some pastries and sat on the bench with Miss Kim, Alina’s mama. Papa made a trip to the store and decided he was headed up to the room. Lukas proceeded to jump off the bench and follow Papa.
Papa had bought Lukas some ramen noodles. He decided he was going to eat them now, 9:45 in the morning. Since he didn’t eat much for breakfast I figured what the heck. After our mid morning snack the three of us played together. Lukas decided he wanted a shower. So, what the heck, I let him. In the warmer weather the children at the baby house strip down to their underpants when they are in their group room. So Lukas typically does like wise when we come inside. At one point during our play Mama moved the clothes she was drying to the window in the living room. Lukas saw me put his underpants I washed up on the window ledge and decided he was going to put the pair he was wearing with them. Next thing you know we have a little nudist running around the room. That lasted until he fell playing and bumped his bum on the radiator. Papa calmed him down and we put our undies back on.
We played some more and then Lukas did something that Mama told him no and we started to pout. I decided I would entice him to stop by swinging him in the air and tossing him on the bed. He decided he liked that and wanted to do it again. After a few times I told him he needed to say “again please”. He wouldn’t do it but I kept trying. After a few more times I actually said it as clear as could be. Even papa heard it in the next room. We gradually added to it so that when he came over to do it again he would repeat after Mama, “again please Mama, thank you.” He was pretty pleased with himself. At one point I asked, “what do you say?” and he repeated the question to me instead of the answer. At least we know he can repeat words, eventually we will work on getting him to say them without being cued.
After rough housing with Papa and mama on the bed he decided he needed another shower and proceeded to head into the shower, take off his underpants and reach for the hand held shower nozzle. That was the first time he figured out on his own that he was to take off his underpants when he takes a shower. The first couple of times he would just walk in the shower and stand there in his underpants. I’m just glad he likes taking a shower. I think he will do fine in the bath because he likes filling cups up and dumping the water.
After our shower it was time for lunch and a nap. Lunch went well but we wanted nothing to do with taking a nap. He had a fit when we tried to put him down even though he was tired. I finally ended up rocking him to sleep with his music playing. Naturally, housekeeping showed up a bought 10 minutes later. They usually don’t come until around 3pm. She wanted to change the sheets on the bed. She was speaking in Russian and I just kept shaking my head no and saying nyet.
Currently both of my boys are napping. It’s about the only time available to write the blog without a little one attempting to help. Yesterday he managed to set the background on the computer while we were playing a DVD. Ironically, set the background to the first family photo and tiled it on the background. I have know idea how he did it. He was just pushing on keys and when we went to boot it down the new background showed up.
We are suppose to have dinner with Kara, Marcia, Alina, Kim, Christian and Natalie to celebrate our springing our kid, Kim finishing her bonding and Christian and Natalie having their court hearing.
We still don’t know when we will be leaving for Almaty but assume it will be Friday or Saturday evening since we need to take care of our 2 appointments in Almaty by Wednesday afternoon. We should know more tomorrow.
Paka,
Wayne, Lynda and Lukas
No comments:
Post a Comment