22 Jun 2009
We awoke to another hot day in Taraz. High is supposed to be about 94. Not the best day to be dressed in formal wear, but that’s the way it goes.
We were picked up by Kural for court about 9:30 am for our 10:00 hearing time. The Docters went first so Lynda and I sat in a waiting area until our name was called at about 11:00am and we headed back to the hearing room. Janette waited with us, but was not allowed to be present in the courtroom.
The judge was a middle aged women dressed in a red robe. Also present were our translator, a court secretary, prosecutor, a member of the guardianship board, a representative of the Ministry of Education and the Umit doctor.
The judge explained what would be taking place today. Just some basic questions and she would hear from the doctor and Ministry of Education representative. I was asked to stand and would end up having most of the judges’ questions directed at me. I think Lynda only got asked one or two questions.
She began with why we wanted to adopt, why we did not adopt from the US, why we wanted to adopt a “sick” child, could we care for a sick child, who would look after Lukas since we work. I will not go into the answers I gave as some are personal matters that Lynda and I share, but I can only say I was honest with the court and in the end I think the judge was satisfied.
The doctor gave a brief history of how Lukas came to the baby house, his medical prognosis and that she felt we were good parents. The Ministry of Education representative was next and she said that she had observed us with Lukas and thought we would make a good family. The member of the guardianship board simply stated that they had met with us and recommended the adoption.
We were then advised by the judge that we were to return for a formal court hearing at 10am on Wednesday the 24th of June, after which we would all go to Umit and she would observe us with Lukas. We then would head back to the courthouse for a wrap up, then she would consider and deliver her judgment.
All I can say is that I have worked in the court system for 22 years and feel very comfortable in that setting. However when you sit before the judge and it sinks in that the last 2 years of work come down to how you answer questions and her decision, it’s a pretty uncomfortable spot for us to be in.
We did not get to see Lukas today, we will go to visit him tomorrow at 2:30pm. So for now we are just trying to keep cool mentally and physically.
Sorry, no pictures today.
Paka,
Lynda and Wayne
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment