Monday, February 28, 2011

Going to big kids school

After many meetings and assessments we finally got the county to agree to give Lukas speech therapy. He will be going to the Elementary School around the corner from his pre-school every Monday at lunch time for 30 minutes until school lets out for the summer. Today was his first day. When I went to get him I told him he was going to a special class at the big kids school. He has been asking since last spring to go to the big kids school because he wants to ride the bus. He was quite excited to be going, especially since he was the only one going.

I wasn't quite sure how he would do because he was not exactly cooperative during the assessment sessions. He and one other boy were in the class. I had to laugh when I found out the other boys name was Quentin. When we adopted Lukas in Kazakhstan we were over there with another family. The father's name is Quentin. Lukas went back with Ms. Annette and Ms. Anita happily. 30 minutes later they came back and he was proudly displaying his homework folder. They said he did really well. We'll see if he continues or if "Mr. I Want to do My own thing" returns. At first he didn't want to go back to school. I agreed to let him take his folder in to school so he went back to show it off. It was the start of nap time and they had his cot all ready for him. It took us a few minutes to get him settled down and not get the rest of the class riled up.

When I went back to get him after school his teacher told me he had shared with the class his surgery experience. This is how he told it to his class. "I went to the hospital yesterday (for him this is any time in the past) and wore lion pajamas. They put a green mask on my face and I kicked with my legs. They held my legs down and I went to sleep." It was pretty accurate. Of course he left out the part about the tubes and waking up.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny! I actually have noticed that the name Quentin is becoming more used now. When we were expecting our oldest daughter and looking for names, "Quentin" was in the book under what NOT to name your child=) We got a laugh out of that one.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter