Saturday, October 22, 2011

Komen Race for the Cure...Lukas' first race

A good friend and co-worker was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer this summer. She was fortunate in that it was caught early but will be undergoing both chemo and radiation. A group of us at work decided to form a team and do the Susan G. Komen race in our area in honor and support of her. I thought it would be a good time to introduce Lukas to fundraising and racing. I chose for us to do the Family 1 mile fun run since I didn't think he would make it for the whole 5 K. It proved to be the right decision.

It was an early morning for both of us. I had him sleep in his race clothes and carried him out to the car in the morning. I hoped he would sleep the 45 minute drive, but noooo, he talked my ear off the entire drive. It was quite the philosophical conversation for that early in the morning. We talked about how God made all the animals different colors, angels, and heaven.












Waiting for the rest of our group to show up.












Part of Team GRECC. Some of the team were doing the timed run and had already taken off.



Lukas and his new friend, Jonathan.





And we're off!





Hey mom, this is fun!






Of course the boys had to stop for nourishment...




The finish line is in sight...Lukas sprinted ahead. That's him crouched over at the bottom of the picture.

Lukas and mommy at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter